Friday, August 19, 2005

Good book

Well, it's been a very long time since I've posted. I just finished a great book called "A short history of progress" by Ronald Wright. A book about collapse of human civilizations when they've degraded their environmental base. My favorite quote is: "Wealth can buy no refuge from pollution; pesticides sprayed in China condense in Antarctic glaciers and Rocky Mountain tarns. And wealth is no shield from chaos, as the surprise on each haughty face that rolled from the guillotine made clear". Do I think a big change is coming, certainly, on the span of decades not centuries. Do I think humanity can learn from it's past mistakes and make the necessary changes. Nope. Just read Margret Wente's column in the globe and mail. Or talk to most of my relatives who can't comprehend the 'ghettoness' of taking the bus. Or my current favorite, the man I met who bragged about never taking the bus and cracking open a beer on the ride home in Vancouver.

No comments: