Talk about a lucky evening. I rushed out of the lab on Thursday evening to try and buy rush tickets for the latest Vancouver Opera production The Magic Flute. This was a really neat performance that they had commissioned which incorporated lots of west coast native american tradition. It had been getting good reviews and I was hoping there would be some rush seats available. I stood in line and some lady came up to me to give me a free ticket! I got to see the opera from centre, 9th row! Not bad.
I also finally bought a copy of the Seven Samurai. It's this great movie and I don't really know why I like it so much but I do. Of course, it comes with all the extra audio commentaries I love so much as well as an extra DVD about the making of the movie, AND a book of essays. Before you start thinking I might have a modicum of taste I also recently bought the Disney movie The Little Mermaid.
3 comments:
Toshiro Mifune has the best voice ever. I've always loved the Seven Samurai, so kudos for buying it!
Also, getting the Little Mermaid around the same time sounds a lot like my own movie purchases.....I"ve done things like getting My Fair Lady (the Audrey Hepburn one) and Disney's Hercules all in one shot. ^__^
Then again, I also have a thing for campy/awesome (?) sci-fi movies like Equilibrium or Aeon Flux. Good movies, lots of plot holes.
What can I say? I have broad tastes.
I liked Aeon Flux, my whole house did actually. We weren't really expecting to.
I see you finally updated your blog! ^_^
If you haven't seen Equilibrium, I recommend renting it purely because that movie is the origin of the legendary 'gun kata'. It's a little dark though, so be warned. ^_^
Post a Comment