Damn, I really love the house we're in. It has a yard, it's in a fantastic location, I like having housemates and the rent was *cheap*. However, our landlord wants it back so we are all scattering away. I've been trying to check out shared housing but most houses had creep vibes going and were way too much money for what they were offering so I moved on to checking out apartments.
First off, a rant about appartment advertising. Craigslist was great but not where I ultimately found my place. However, the ads (and the UBC list was the same) were very flexible in the lingo. Excuse me, but when you advertise a one-bedroom in your basement where the bathrooom was mainly yours but the landlords would come down and use it; that's not a one-bedroom. Here was another common ad in the craigslist section for apartments/houses - one-bedroom advertised but then it turns into a two bedroom to be shared with the other person. That's no longer a one-bedroom sweetie, that's shared accomodation and it has a craigslist section all to itself. Ditto kitchens - a hotplate and toaster oven does not a kitchen make (and you wanted $500+ for this luxury!). Or the one ad which said the basement one-bedroom was great for a female who only did light cooking. Light cooking?! Like use the hotplate to boil water for her Mr. Noodles? But that place was going for over $500/month, plus utilities (all the water boiling must add up).
Anyway, I found a place - a bachelor close to Broadway and Granville (one bus trip away from everything!). It's the first time I'm going to be living on my own, not sure how much I'll like that and it's double the rent that I'm used to.
I have a cell phone now in preparation for the move so look for me on the bus. I'll be the one saying: "yes, uh huh...., yeah I'm on the bus.... yeah.... I'll be there in 10 minutes... yeah, yeah.... ok bye".
2 comments:
I'll be staying at 12th and Granville for the summer, so we'll be neighbours!
Almost.
Hehe! Hope to see you!
Hey, up for watching second season on BSG then? I haven't seen it.
Post a Comment