In Davos I have joined a small chamber orchestra, playing violin. I haven't played classical violin in many many years, and I've never played in a group before. However, years of playing Saxophone in various bands has given me the skills. Although it's been years since I've played Sax in a band, it's all coming back pretty quick. Good thing too since rehearsals are in German. I'm learning High German, but they speak Swiss German and the pronunciations can be very different. However, I can usually figure out what's going on, only because I get key words (fast, quiet, 4 bars before the close), musicians often sing the effect they want, and I had learned all the Italian terms back when I was playing in the concert wind ensembles. Other times I'm just totally lost. However, if everyone around you starts playing quiet it's not time to solo ^_^
This weekend was a Mozart Mass (sparrow mass). The local catholic church was having its 120 year anniversary and we joined with the choir to play. It is so much fun to play, but I really had to practice. The mass itself lasted over 2 hours (all in German). I'm glad to say I chirped exactly with everyone else, this sparrow did not chirp on her own during rests!
1 comment:
Wow, congratulations, that is great. Hope you enjoy it
Betts
Post a Comment