This involved getting up at 4:30am to start the long drive to the other side of Munich. I even bought a dress for the occasion.
Once settled into our hotel room, we took the train into downtown Munich. The advantage about the transit system was for 20 Euro, 5 adults could ride unlimited transit all day until 5am the next morning.
By about noon we got to our first beer tent. Not really a tent though, it was a large permanent structure decorated with ribbons and filled with tables.
There were lots of people drinking and eating and a live band was playing. We tried playing Schlager music to get in the mood on the drive up but it was just to early!
We ordered our delicious roast chicken and Maß, the 1L of beer served at Octoberfest. I'm not a big fan of beer and it was a lot of beer to get through!!
There was lots of singing along and standing on the benches (in the first hall). Our reservation finished and we left around 4. We walked around the fair but there wasn't a whole lot going on. Most people inside the halls were dressed up, but there were more normally dressed tourists outside.
On the second day, we had a reservation in the more popular Hippodrome.
Inside it was again filled with tables. I was told by one man that once there were horses in the main lower part, but they have since left to put in more tables, I guess it was more profitable.
I took lots of pictures of people, and lots of pictures of the dirndls and lederhosen.
The C&A, a department store here in Europe had a large selection of dirndls for sale.
We had interesting food, radishes, some kind of onion dip, pretzels and this bread with what I think was lard with the cracklings still in it. Again it was more Maß, pretty much the only thing people were drinking. And less dancing on the chairs this time.
All in it was a pretty fun couple of days. Less drunkenness than I was expecting. It might be because we started and finished drinking early, or it might be because in comparison to stricter liquor laws in Canada, it is a more family friendly affair with more parents and children attending.
No comments:
Post a Comment