Thursday, August 13, 2015

Cycling to Verina mountain hut

On the weekend we had a bit of nice weather so we rented bicycles and cycled to the mountain hut Verina. We had a gift certificate there from our wedding and we went for a giant lunch!

I had an electric bike and Mic had a mountain bike which in the end worked out well. The road was a combination of rough asphalt and gravel and the trip was over 20km and up about 900m. That was hard work for me even with an electric bike! The electric bike had about five gears on one side and the electric motor control on the other side of the handlebars. You could add more power as needed which was great on the steeper section of the hill. In general it required approximately the same amount of energy to pedal as the terrain changed, and you had to pedal it.

Here is the start of the road going above the valley we live in.


 They way up was very lovely, usually beside a stream with lots of waterfalls. Of course, it was significantly more pleasant for me since I wasn't dying without the extra help.


When we got to the top of the road the valley leveled out. I might have had an e-bike but I was still tired when we made it to the hut!


We ordered a big lunch and looked forward over the valley.


And we took our time eating and enjoying the view and the weather. I ordered a dessert of ice cream, whipped cream and meringue. When it came to the table it was huge! It took me quite a while to eat what I could. Someone passing by laughed a bit and I said "yup it's huge". When they walked by again they said "still huge".

As it looked like rain might be coming and we had to return the bikes we headed down along the stream again.


We stopped for a picture.


And made it back in good time to return the bikes.

No comments: