Now that I am idle at home on holidays I went on the hydroelectric plant tour of Kublis which is offered once a month. I was expecting it to be in German of course, but also was hoping to do a bit more walking around.... Unfortunately we spent almost 1.5 hours at the beginning standing around a map and looking at the computer control system.
However, even with my A2 limited German I could follow most of what was going on and learned about the tunnels through the mountains for the water and the annual filling of the lake in Davos. Throughout the winter they draw on the water in Davos lake for power and they must refill it every spring before the tourists arrive. They use some of the electricity to power the electric trains of the Graubunden canton (the RhB network).
I got to see a photo of the inlet at the bottom of the Davos lake, I was always wondering how bit it was... apparently the bars are about 3.5 cm apart to give you an idea of the scale.
There weren't a whole lot of machines in Kublis, they had a big empty room with two generators attached to two turbines each.
There were photos of the making of the turbines, they were carved from a single piece of .... steel?
At the end I had a slow walk back to the bus stop through the village, cute, small and friendly.





No comments:
Post a Comment