Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Australia! (and Fiji)

I have finished my grand tour of part of Australia (can you call it a grand tour?). It was a great vacation, I visisted friends, made new ones and got to see sunlight in the winter (a rarity for Vancouver).


First, my travelling partner Rhonda, enjoying her cup of coffee at the Victoria market in Melbourne.


Rhonda and I stayed with Vancouver now living in Melbourne friends Bryan and Sarah. But first we braved driving on the left side of the road (and a very narrow and twisty road at that) and rented a car for a road trip on the Great Ocean Road. This is the obligatory tourist photo with grand landmark, the 12 apostles (now with fewer apostles due to geological progress).


Bryan and Sarah were magnificant hosts, they were amazing from the minute we arrived. For Christmas Bryan and Sarah treated us to a 5 course dinner on the Tramcar Restaurant. This tramcar went around Melbourne for three hours with tons of food and drink.


It was a fantastic Christmas present (and delicious too).


While in Melbourne we stopped in the Yarrow valley and tried some wine. Lucky for us Sarah our driver didn't like wine. Poor Sarah. But thanks for all the great driving!


Then we all drove up to Sydney for Christmas. We were hosted by Sarah's parents and joined by Sarah's sister and her husband. Once again talk about fanastic hosting. The food was fabulous, the drinks were great (thanks Bryan!) and everyone was so warm, welcoming and entertaining. Here we are after a long evening.


After Sydney we all flew to Hobart on Tasmania. Here our ex-Vancouver friend Nenagh and her father hosted us (once again, thank you thank you thank you). We all enjoyed the Taste of Tasmania for several evenings.


Sarah and I put aside any shame and took a turn on the Merry-go-Round on the waterfront.


Nenagh's father was a bonsaii enthusiast. I always had an interest in Bonsaii and he taught me a lot. We wired trees, trimmed leaves and even repotted a fig.


For New Year we joined friends of Nenagh at a beach house. Here is Bryan and Sarah on the beach.


In Hobart we went for a hike on Mount Wellington. We saw at last three snakes on the trip which was scary because all snakes in tasmania are poisonous. We also saw an echidna. These mammals are monotremes which means they lay eggs (the other monotreme is the platypus). It was really neat to see this guy in the wild. They usually try and bury themselves into the soil as soon as they feel threatened but this guy was on rocks and could only hide his head.


We also went to an animal sanctuary and they had a place where you could feed the kangaroos. What this guy really liked was being scratched, he would ignore all the food around him when you scratched him and he would lean right into it.


After Tasmania we flew back to Melbourne (without Rhonda) and I went for a horseback trip offered by the McCormacks. I couldn't go riding in the high country because of the fires but I still had a great time. Bruce and Deb were fantastic and I got to help herd cattle and treat them for pink eye (I know I know, maybe not everyone's idea of a vacation).


So after Australia it was Fiji for four days. Since I had a short trip I was looking to avoid the backpacking thing and went on a sailing safari instead. Here I am on the boat.


I stayed in a bure. There was no hot water or electricity but cold showers were necessary. The snorkling was excellent, I've never gone before and it was amazing to see all the coral and all the life.

So then I got back to a clean room, clean house, dumped my stuff and started work the very next day. I'm still getting over the jet lag and now its back to weird Vancouver weather (more windstorms and snow) but at least the buses are finally going into campus without problems.

1 comment:

Marianne said...

Great pictures and information. Looks like the weather was perfect! (not like Vancouver's weather while you were gone).