Monday, February 11, 2008

First Horse Show

So I competed in my first ever horse show. The morning started with cleaning all the tack and getting the horses nicely groomed.

Here's the entire group of us and the two horses we were sharing, me on Strut and Jackie on Sam.

Once we got to the club the younger girls got on the horses in preparation for the ride, but the girl on Strut was really nervous which got Strut all excited and worried. When they were doing their flat class (no jumps) she asked for a canter and Strut just took off running around the ring. When I got on him he was a little crazy and I had to work to keep him calm. Its amazing how much talking to him and taking deep breaths and thinking calm thoughts translates down though to the horse.


Here is Strut and me in the flat class.

So we took the horses back to the barn for a chillout before the jumping in the afternoon. I had thought about jumping the 2 foot course but I haven't jumped Strut much (and the last time I did I fell off right at the jump) so like everyone else I just stuck with trot poles and cross poles. I did do the cross pole course mainly at the canter and I even got flying lead changes and Strut was much calmer in the afternoon so all in all, a good day.

No comments: