Quote:
My friend Ira
His name isn't really Ira, though he is Jewish. I'm not sure that I've even met more than one Ira under the age of 50. Anyway, I'm not using his real name because it might cause one of us embarrassment and/or death. His home page, not to put too fine a point on it, sucked. He had a handful of technical papers and a picture of himself. "Ira" wouldn't like to hear me say this, but he is no Christie Brinkley when it comes to the appearance department. Traffic on his page reflected its quality. To a first approximation, he was getting 0% of my traffic. Yet some weeks Ira would get three email messages from women practically throwing themselves at him.
"My roommate and I are looking at your page and we think you'd be the perfect guy for us. If you're down here in Georgia, stop by." It was like a Penthouse Forum letter from 1978 and yet not untypical for Ira's email harvest of babes.
So I went over Ira's page with a fine-toothed comb. Aside from the fact that his page sucks and mine doesn't, the only real difference I could find is that where I have "I am a graduate student" he has "Ira B. Greenwald, MD, PhD". He says he thinks he'd get more email if he removed the PhD part...
No comments:
Post a Comment