Monday, February 16, 2009

Zombie Blogs

To educate myself in the biofuels industry I've been reading a custom RSS feed that I created using google which searches blogs for the word biofuel. I've come across a lot of blogs that I've termed zombieblogs. These are are usually get rich quick scheme blogs, or to advertise the writer for employment or investment. I'm not going to link to any of them because that would increase their legitimacy. Once I found a for sale page describing a blog about biofuels where the author bragged about the high ranking and how to generate revenue by selling ads and how little maintenance the blogs require. These blogs are a real pain when trying to find real information because they don't have any original content. They cut and paste press release articles and other news items from more legitimate sources in an attempt to gain hits and ranking. So as I search for blogs about biofuel, I come across the same articles over and over again.

A way to identify these Zombie blogs is that they have long articles written and a simple google search of the text reveals the original source. A variation of the long zombie blogs is the short-form zombie blogs. These blogs don't cut and paste entire articles, but just list the first few sentences before providing a link. Both of these types of blogs are very annoying as I attempt to find good content online.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could call them "zomblogs".

I think one could also introduce the expression "that's a load of biofuel" to refer to things which one considers to be low in validity or other merit.

Chris H.

Carly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carly said...

Update: Apparently these blogs are called spam blogs or splogs.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/11/09/attack-of-the-splogs%E2%80%94one-of-our-posts-copied-152-times-without-attribution/