Tuesday, March 03, 2009

The defence


So I finished my defense and my committee and audience members said it was really good. Clear explanations and clear communication. However, they weren't privy to my inner monologue...

A prof asked me about best experimental conditions for determining IC50 and the conversation in my brain went something like this:

"IC50, this is easy, you talked about it with Lindsay years ago and it was obvious, it has something to do with Km and it's either higher or lower"

brain: dammit I hate answering questions about kinetics and inhibitors

"no no, there's just two options, just think it through"

brain: .... fuck, it's going to be questions like this for at least another hour.

"argh, work with me here, easy question, I'm taking too long, I'm going to have to go with the gut".

Gut: Higher, Carly: "Higher"

Prof: "actually it's lower"

"stupid gut, ok brain, you were given the answer, think about it for a second and it should all make sense"

brain: I don't want to think about kinetics right now, screw you.

"argh, I'm trying to work with idiots, say something say something, you're going to have to say something now"

Carly: "ahh, yes I see."

"stupid brain, I'm going to kill you with alcohol after this".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When will you hear some results then?

I hope they view you favourably!
Noel

Carly said...

Oh the exam is finished. The committee said I had a very good exam and a good thesis. I passed the defence, I have minor revisions to my thesis, Lindsay signs the paper and then I submit to grad studies.

Anonymous said...

Lowell and Marsh pass on their congratulations!