Monday, January 11, 2010

More skiing!

Yes, it seems I do a lot of skiing here. But I mean, come out, check out the views! Once I have the equipment worked out and my boots kinda broken in hopefully I can do some backcountry stuff later.

But fist, I went to Les Portes du Soleil with a labmate last weekend. We just went for the afternoon and I followed him right to the top of a run called the Swiss Wall! It was very steep and the bottom 2/3rds looked fantastic. However, steep and icy really doesn't work well with tele-gear and sure I could have spent an hour survival skiing down but instead I took the lift.



After the wall we had some fun in powder. I was a bit worried there wouldn't be enough powder to ski in in the Alps compared to the West Coast but it turned out to be decent. In fact, more people prefer to stay on the piste.



So the next weekend it was more dramatic skiing. I went to Titus around Luzern with Andrea and two of her friends. We had a fantastic day! (well, half day, since I was coming from Lausanne). The weather was beautiful and it was sunny. Andrea has skied several times here but never actually seen the mountains. And they were pretty darn impressive!








We had great snow and a wonderful day and when it was all over I took the train home. I was so tired I even slept on the train and almost missed my stop!



I have new ski gear and it has taken me until now to get warmed up and remembering how to do those tele-turns. Finally this weekend I was able to get that feeling of spronging back up and connecting my turns.




A big difference between Switzerland and Canada skiing is that here they keep the runs open much later. We skied all the way out (usually I don't like skiing out but this time it was so pretty, the alps in the background, hoarfrost clinging to the trees) and by the time we were close to the bottom the light was quite dim and it was difficult to see the piste!



So my other big news is that I have found an apartment. Finding a place to live here is crazy! A basic outline is as follows:

1st - get your paperwork. You will need your permit, but as that takes months to get, you can only show that you have applied for your permit. You need a letter from the government stating you have no debt. Even if you've only been in the country one day, they still need the letter. Finally, you need your work contract.

2nd - search like mad every day on the housing lists. As soon as a flat is advertised, call them, set up an appointment to visit and join the steady stream of people in the same position as you.

3rd - first thing next morning go to the agency with all your paperwork and apply for the apartment. Fill out their forms, answer the questions, hope when you show up the place hasn't been rented out already.

Then repeat this about 20 times over the next two months. I was unusual that I found such a nice place so quickly. I've only been losing sleep for a few weeks. Man, even in my dreams I was applying for apartments. They can take weeks to make a decision about an apartment because they know the renters are desperate. For example, one place I applied to made the decision on the 8th for occupancy on the 15th. Of course, that means you pay double rent for a month, but better than homeless.

And this also means that once I move in, buy a couch that turns into a bed I can accommodate guests! There's lots to see and do here (more than skiing, I promise). And if you do come and want to treat your host to a gift.... They don't make peanut butter here like they do back home! Kraft, creamy, smooth. No size too large! ^_^


3 comments:

Emily C said...

Very pleased to hear about the accommodating guests part :)

Marianne said...

And nothing like a big hint of a jar of peanut butter to bring with you when you visit.

Carly said...

Do you think I was too subtle?

Of course, it's not a requirement, especially if you have to carry it a lot. But if, say, you're coming from Canada and landing in Geneve, it's not like you have to carry it *that* far... ^_^