It's getting to the end of the season, I don't know what I will do when the skiing ends because I enjoy it so much. Except when I'm dumped on the bunny slope, but more on that later.
On Saturday I went with my lab mates to Verbier. The resort still had fantastic snow but man was this place crowded! The most crowded place that I've skied at since I've moved to Switzerland, but unlike many mountains here it was easier to get around to all the different pistes (like Whistler). I skied all day with men, men who spoke Italian and were all better skiers than me.
Anyway, we started together and they wanted to go to the top of the mountain where there was a black run. I often ski with better skiers and of course we always split up so everyone can ski something fun. But they made all the plans in Italian and then ran off and I was stuck waiting on this stupid bunny slope. A brief glance at the map after they left showed they had two gondola lifts to the top and it was going to take a lot longer than the 20 minutes they asked me to wait. I skied the bunny hill a few times, then left them to ski something better, felt guilty that they might be waiting, rushed back and they *still* hadn't come down.
More bunny hill runs.
Finally they call me, I see them on the lift going up and they tell me to wait near the bottom of the piste. I wait, I eat my cheese. Wait. Eat my apple, taking the time to eat every little bit of flesh on the damn thing. Wait. Ok, now some chocolate, at this point I'm running out of food. Damn bunny hill lift that stops every 10 minutes because some kid has fallen off. No, I've not worked myself up into a decent snark by this point, not at all.
Finally we meet up. So far my day at this famous ski resort has been bunny hills and waiting. I'm grumpy, it's already 1pm. We leave the bunny hill behind. Later Alex calls me names, I call him names back, let it always be said that I maintain a good relationship with my co-workers filled with warmth and mutual respect.
However, after all the waiting we did go some places interesting and this time I had some say in the Italian mafia about where to ski next. A nice steep slope filled with snow and not moguled out and some other fun pistes. At the end of the day we decide to ski out and to try and do it without walking (no feets!) I'm not a big fan of the ski out, it's often icy, crowded and I'm usually pretty tired. However, we didn't actually go down any piste, rather I had a lot of fun following Alex and Marco through roads and into the forest.
So, Italian mafia bunny hill crap aside, I was completely exhausted after the fun ski day. Which was a good thing because the next day was more skiing, but this time more laid back and with less name calling too.
1 comment:
Love the line "Italian mafia"!
Post a Comment