So, a rather uninspiring Easter this year. And they don't even have those sugary cream eggs which I can console myself with! At least it hasn't been raining the entire weekend.
I did make it to the cantonal museum (canton = province but in miniature scale, hmm, probably not by the metric of population though...). The museum was ok, more like a library of items rather than a coherent set of displays. However, as it was the first Saturday of the month it was free and therefore well worth the investment. They had some human fetuses on display which was a bit unexpected. In Canada when there were plasticized fetuses they had warning signs. Here there were two 5 month old ones and some younger ones and they looked pretty real to me floating around in formaldehyde next to the rat, fish and I can't remember what other fetuses.
Also in the zoology section of the museum were several biological 'monstrosities'. Mainly conjoined kittens, lambs and calves. They had the hides and the skeletons and it was an impressive collection. They also had the head of a goat which had two normal horns, but then on the end of a normal looking floppy ear was a third fully developed horn. I didn't think to bring my camera, I was running around town doing my desperate shopping. I still haven't found brown sugar. The evening ended with some fondue and a bit too much wine.
Today I worked in the lab and walked around town a lot. I had been told about squat toilets in europe but never saw one all summer. However, today along the Lausanne waterfront... well, there they were. My very first squat toilet. Well, I came to europe for the skiing (check) and the culture. Fetuses, mutant calves and squat toilets horray!
1 comment:
Oh, I met a girl from Stratford recently.
Well, actually, I met her months ago, I only just discovered she was from Stratford to some extent, since she had earlier billed herself as being from London.
Her name's Nicole. You probably know her.
--Chris H.
Post a Comment