Saturday, May 08, 2010

A little bit of Basel, a little bit of Lausanne Carnival

Last weekend I decided to go on a LFTR (long ...fabulous train ride) and headed out to Basel. I chose this destination because it meant I could ride on the train through the Jura and it was very pretty. I didn't however take any photos. Just this one of a gate in Basel. The Jura mountains were pretty but you'll just have to take my word for it.


In other exciting Lausanne news, here I am playing at the pub.



And then today (Saturday) was a carnival day in Lausanne. I heard someone say something about celebrating the sun and a bunch of young people going around getting drunk and riding on rides.


It appeared similar to those county fairs in Ontario that would set up in all the towns. Except rather than being clustered in town fairgrounds or agricultural park, this fair was set up right in the streets.


There were all the games and the same tiger stuffed toys to win that I remember from 15 years ago. Plus public consumption of alcohol! Drinking in the streets! Here's the photographic proof!


Yes, that's me and a beer and yes I drank it all by myself. That's one of the goals of my post-doc - acquire a taste for beer so that I can drink it socially. It's good to have goals.

1 comment:

frank said...

I wish you best of luck in your aspirations :)