Monday, June 08, 2015

Coincidences in a small Swiss village

Mic and I live in a relatively small village and I work in a nearby small village and it is surprising sometimes about the coincidences.

For example, one night I missed my train after horse riding but the vet visiting the barn said he would give me a ride to Klosters where he lived. When I pointed out which house was mine he was laughing because he had just moved out of it (after he separated from his partner). This was more than a year ago. Then a few months ago I was waiting at the train station and a lady stopped her car beside me. Now, the entire conversation was in German so my accuracy is so-so, but she pulled the car over, said out the window "You're the Canadian, do you want a ride to Davos?". Turns out she had dinner the previous night with another person in Klosters who I know because we talk in the mornings waiting for the train. He had told her about me, she recognized me and gave me a ride. Then she said she used to live in the place I currently live, she had been the partner with the vet. Small town.

Then at work today my workmate told me a story about the weekend talking with her friends and colleagues in Davos. They were comparing stories about the perks of work and my workmate said her only perk was she could give herself free pregnancy tests because we have a system that can measure bHCG. Then one of the guys said "I know you, you're working with the pregnant Canadian". Now I haven't been talking with a lot of people about being pregnant but it turns out that this guy is the son of someone I occasionally play with in a string quartet (where I had discussed being pregnant) and while I had had a conversation with him once maybe last year he still remembered me.

I wonder if I am known all around town as the Canadian. It's true that I don't know any other Canadians around here. Mic said I could be down further in the valley, say "out and about" and someone somewhere would say "hey it's the pregnant Canadian!".


No comments: