Monday, July 24, 2006

Good Old Margaret Wente

On this weekend Globe and Mail Margaret Wente weighed in on public transportation with her ode to the car. Good god is this woman out to lunch. She writes "As for the lower-income people - supposedly the main beneficiaries of public transit - they have an alternative, too. It's called used cars." Right, if Margaret's idea of poor people is those who have to buy used cars instead of new ones it explains her column a lot more. Her social scale starts at those who buy used cars and moves up from there. If you're below are you just part of the landscape? Or just a useless tax drain.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

" Or one of those things that get in the way on the sidewalk"

With or without a bike.

Fokke

Tuco said...

Wente's column annoys me more every time I think about it. I'm actually starting to think it's a real spit in the face to those of us who ride bikes or use public transit because we're really trying to cut down on our carbon emissions. And yeah, her take on the "poor" buying used cars... jesus murphy, what a nimrod.

I wrote about this recently on http://tucorides.blogspot.com if you get a chance to take a look.
ciao!

Carly said...

Wow, a comment by someone I don't know (or don't think I know anyway). Must have been googling Wente. I believe she's kept at the Globe and Mail to be deliberatly provocative. She usually gets pretty irate letters to the editor in response.

And yes Fokke, I doubt that women even considers a bicycle having any other use than occasional entertainment.

Anonymous said...

Hey Carly,

If I buy a car, I'll still talk to you.

Well, not in public, of course, but, you know...

Chris