Hurray, new version of Ubuntu has just come out and this one is better than ever. It is already installed on Mr. Eee. Sound has always been a bit touch and go with linux but this time there were no problems. Standby power worked great and so did wifi and skype, both for my laptop and Mr. Eee.
I'm also running Vista on my laptop (a dual boot system). I realize everyone hates Vista but it hasn't been too bad for me. I am not used to doing things in windows anymore so I'm not frustrated by the changes. And even though the laptop is rather gutless, it is still late in the Vista release cycle and able to run decently. Unlike the pile of poop Sony Viao I used to have which was too gutless to run even XP.
The other computer stuff of interest is disk images. My Ubuntu install only took about 20 minutes (including installing office programs), Vista took over three hours. Once I had my system completely set up I cloned it using Clonezilla to make an image of the install. So, when Vista becomes a virus loaded piece of poop, I can just clone it back from the disk image and not have to go through all the manual installing, crap program removal and addition of useful programs just to get it usable. I'm very excited about the disk image stuff, although the system clone took just over 2 hours. However, I didn't have to babysit it which is nice. Getting clonezilla to run was pretty easy, I just had to try a bunch of combinations to get the clone to save to my samba server because I'm rather poor with samba.
So Carly, why is Vista going to become virus ridden? No, I'm not using an antivirus program. Watching my parents struggle with viruses (and do rather well, my mom at least is pretty computer literate) it takes so much work! No thanks, I'll stick with Ubuntu, boot into windows when I need to and clone it whenever there are problems. I just got too used to not worrying about viruses over the last few years.
Finally, anyone know anything about PGP for stuff like e-mail encryption and authentication? I'm reading up on GnuPG.
So yup, a pretty boring post. I'm doing all those tidying things that you always intend to do when you get more time.
3 comments:
I like the "duel boot" typo! :D
Yeah! Let them fight it out with guns and swords! *LOL*
But I really reckommend getting some AV for Vista... There are free ones out there (http://free.avg.com). Otherwise you'll be restoring from the clone every time you start IE...
If there was a duel, I think Ubuntu would lose because Vista would pull out the dirty tricks ^_^
Typo fixed.
And IE is hidden away and firefox rules the day. Here's hoping...
If you are using gmail and firefox for your email firegpg is a nice plugin to let you use gpg with gmail.
If you are using Thunderbird Enigmail is an excellent plugin to use gpg. Anyway send me your public key if you want me to send you an encrypted email sometime :)
While we are on it, you should install the off-the-record (otr) plugin for pidgin so we can encrypt our conversations over IM. Sucks that Empathy (the pidgin replacement in 9.10) does not support otr (kopete does if you are using kubuntu).
The math behind encryption is pretty cool actually (I love group theory).
Post a Comment