Sunday, October 18, 2009

A Night Out in Stratford

First off, the night out ended with watching the last two episodes of True Blood so you can judge for yourself just how exciting it was...

It started with the poster in the grocery store. Lindy's Singles Dance. Well, I dance lindy, don't really care about the singles part since I'm leaving here in less than two months. But maybe I can get introduced to the scene. Hmmm, a singles dance for lindy is a bit... restrictive, Stratford isn't a big town... but there's a huge art community here because of the Festival. Here's hoping they just do things a bit different here in the Central Canada.

So I dig out my dance shoes, walk all the way into downtown (you can do that in Stratford) and head to the legion (fantastic swing dances at the legion in Vancouver). I get to the door and scan the room before I pay my admission. Yeah, not a Lindy dance. There's old country tunes played by a young DJ (looks like he is 14). The dance floor is sparsely populated with people between 40-60 and there's a lot of unexciting two-stepping going on. I ask at the door, what the Lindy meant. Turns out it's Lindy's dance, as in she organized it.

sigh...

Walk home from downtown (you can do that in Stratford), watched the end of True Blood. I'm sure I'll be lonely in Switzerland, but at least there is potential for something interesting to develop.

4 comments:

frank said...

Hey True Blood is a good show, so at least some of the evening must have been a good time ;-)

Carly said...

Yeah, good show. Too bad there won't be more episodes until next Summer. This was the advantage of Buffy. By the time I bought it on DVD, there was no more waiting for another season.

Anonymous said...

There are the books True Blood is based on. But maybe it's not the same.

--C.H.

Carly said...

Yeah, I may just start checking out those books. Currently reading Headhunter by Timothy Findley. That one's been on my list since high school but first I had to read Heart of Darkness.