Friday, December 04, 2009

More Switzerland

Wow, if you thought Vancouver was a tough rental market, it has nothing on Lausanne. Holy crap, I'm going to take almost anything.

The city is beautiful, even in the winter it is pretty. The mountains can be seen in the distance and there is snow.

On one of my trips into town I wanted to buy a day pass. I ran to catch the bus but at the ticket machine I couldn't figure out how to buy a day pass. The bus driver opened the door (ticket machines are at the station, not on the bus) and invited me on. I told him I couldn't speak french and he gestured that I could just pay him. But I said I wanted a day ticket. So at the next bus stop he stopped the bus, got off and showed me what buttons to push to get a day ticket.

The people that I've met in Switzerland have been very helpful. When I went to the tea shop the man tried hard to help me get tea I wanted. He could have been snarky and annoyed that I was difficult, but instead he gave me a candy.

And finally, some guy tried to pick me up on the bus, at least, I think that's what it was. He came up to me, and I thought he was the conductor asking for the ticket, but when I paid attention, he was asking for something telephone, plus he wasn't dressed in a uniform. I have also learned that guys are pretty weird and desperate.

Now I have a rail pass so I intend to spend all of December travelling to every little corner of the country. Because I can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Carly it is nice to hear that you are now save and fine in Switzerland. When do you have to start working. Hope you will find soon a place of your own.
Good luck.

Fokke