Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Weekend away to Paris

I am now in a place where I can go on weekend trips to Paris! Cool. This fantastic photo was taken by one of my travel mates.


I went on the high speed train with some friends from Lausanne. We stayed at the Paris Hotel which offered much better value than the hostel I had stayed at previously. While in Paris we went into Notre Dame again and I took this picture of a lion at the foot of some dead guy. He's got such a sad face.


In our trip was a civil engineer so we went to visit the Pompidou building which was really ugly but interesting. I was cold so my hair was down, it's hard for me to recognize myself in pictures!



We also visited the Louvre and here we are dramatic tango dancing in the courtyard.



Inside we ran around to look at the highlights in just a few hours, it was a map challenge!



This time the Venus de Milo was in a nicer location.


Also were these giant ox's that were supporting giant beams of 4-6 tree trunks each. This was just the very top of the huge pillars and you could only imagine how huge the room was where these pillar caps originally placed.


Pam got this great picture of me walking in front of the giant winged bull.


This granite stele is one of the oldest examples of codified law, the code of Hammurabi. It's from Babylon.


Here's a closeup of the cunniform.


Of course, what I really like are the lions. This guy has a pretty fantastic snarl.



Up close and personal

Louvre buddies!



Around the Louvre is the Tuileries garden where all the Parisians were out on the Saturday afternoon.



It turns out that Pam and I were both fans of the Phantom of the Opera and we visited the Opera house, but just the outside.


On Sunday morning we climbed up to the second level of the Eiffel tower. We were there reasonably early but the lines were already huge.


 These shoes were on display on the first level of the Eiffel tower, awesome heel!



 Looking up, way up!



All in all, it was a great trip. The train ride goes a lot quicker when there are friends to chat with.

No comments: