Thursday, August 27, 2009

Back in Canada

Well, I've made it back to Canada after 14 hours of solid travel (train, plane and traffic jam).

When I got onto the airplane I was surprised to see that I had been upgraded to business class. Not too shabby. The food was still airplane food but I got a glass of wine to go with it. They still pee the same in first class, only the washroom had bottles of hand lotion. However, by the end of the flight, even with the fancy chairs I felt like I had been stuck on an airplane for too many hours. I don't think business class can really make that go away.

I sat beside an older lady who just couldn't manage anything from her seat. She would always ask me how to open the tray, turn on the light, etc. Even when I showed her she couldn't do it. She wouldn't even give something a try first. I remembered the girl on the Italy trip who was helpless like that which the boys liked and wondered this is what it looks like after 50 years. I think about how much more people are capable of when there is this expectation that they should just be able to do it. This reflects on my thoughts about girls in math and computing. They always comment on the lack of girls, but then many claim (especially the boys) that they just have a more natural gift for it. However, people are much more capable when there is an expectation that they can do it. I've certainly noticed it in my experience. I say I can do hard stuff and voila, it works. It also works the opposite, I know that my opinions of my abilities have hamstrung me in the past.

Anyway, on the flight I finally watched the two latest bond movies and Slumdog Millionaire. I really liked the bond films (though I enjoy the Bourne movies better). Usually it's the 'bond girls' who put me off those films.

And sadly when I got home to turn on my desktop computer it wouldn't boot. I think it is the power supply as the fan wouldn't even start. I don't really know how to fix it, I guess look around for a newer power supply at home but I don't think we have any. Mr E, you're a cute little computer and I loved you in Europe but now I have some serious work to do! Don't feel bad though, it's not you, it's me.

Finally, as this post indicates, this blog is probably going to get a lot more boring again! It's nice to be home but there isn't too much excitement to write about. I still have stuff from the trip I want to post and I anticipate a move in the nearby future (can't live a life of leisure forever) so here's looking forward to more interesting times!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carly it was nice to have you over at our place, but I will keep using butter or margarine for the apple pie. Tineke missed you this morning.

Fokke

Anonymous said...

Hallo Carly,

I was a pleasure to read your blog about your trip through europa.

Peter (brother of Fokke)