Saturday, August 29, 2009

Computers and Detergent

Sadly, my lovely old linux box didn't turn on when I got home. I could troubleshoot the powersupply but instead went out and bought the cheapest laptop with a decent sized screen. So, finally after ... 7 years I paid for another windows license (Vista).

My first impression: yeah, I still like linux better. Vista took *forever* to install. Then I had to spend another hour removing the crapware. After that I had some installs to do without the joy of Synaptic (windows users of the world, you are really missing out!). Anyway, now the machine is running though not without hiccups. I always cringe a bit when my linux box had a problem or two and would think about how people coming from windows would find the experience a disappointment. Well, this windows installation is not without hiccups of its own!

Of course I will be dual booting this machine. I think I will wait until the next Ubuntu distribution release in October. I still have Mr. E for when I need linux to do what windows cannot.

So while I am busy copying the data from my old hard drive, I have an anecdote from Germany to relate.

I was in the grocery store trying to buy more laundry detergent. I didn't know the word and was trying to go based on the picture instructions and bottle size. Anyway, when I brought my prize back to the hostel I was informed I had bought fabric softener. So back I went to the store and mimed handwashing clothes to these 3 ladies who helped me get laundry detergent.

Anyway, I kept the bottle, a souvenir of Germany. I've never bothered with fabric softener before. I particularly want to use it because of the poetry on the back. The girl at the hostel thought it was hilarious.
"Wenn Sich die Wuste in der Abendsonne rot farbt und die Luft zu gluhen scheint, dann bekommt man das Gefuhl, dass fast alles moglich ist und alles passieren kann."
Which google translates to
"If the red desert in the evening sun and Glow Color test the air seems, then one gets the feeling that almost everything is possible and anything can happen."
Now I know it isn't fair to mock what comes out of google translate, but what I was told in the hostel sounds pretty damn similar. I'm expecting magic things from these laundry loads!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://xkcd.com/528/

--Chris H.

Dr Erik said...

I get very confused when you write "Mr E"... =D
Can't you call him Mr Eee or something less confusing?

Carly said...

I *suppose* I could call him Mr Eee. But everyone knows you're Dr E. ^_^

I have another computer, a laptop that I bought in anticipation of traveling. It runs Vista and it sucks but all I need to do is wordprocessing. I think I will name him Mr Craptastic. Or do you have a better name?

Possible Future Employer said...

Everyone's talking about your t-shirt. And I missed it!
Re-post!
Pronto!

Carly said...

Heh, that was a short little post up only for a day! Time limited offer. If you e-mail me though, I'll send it. Maybe I'll repost it.