Argh, so much stuff to write on my blog, I didn't even finish Holland before the whirlwind time in Paris.
Ok, one day, a long long time ago (in vacation days which are always long ago) we visited the village of Breda. Given that this occured *before* Paris, the details are going to be rather sketchy. We went to a church (of course), it was a protestant church which I don't find as interesting as the catholic churches. Anyway, there was a tomb of someone important (see how my memory works). I think they were related to the royal lineage but I can't remmber how old. The tomb was neat though.

The church used to be catholic but during the reformation? it was convered to protestant and all the paintings were painted over and the statues smashed.

Around the alter were the stalls for the priests? During more ancient masses they had to spend a lot of time standing. So when the seat was tipped up there was carved into the bottom of the seat a small stool that you could lean against during the very long masses. Apparently these little benches were from the 16th century!

While in Breda we walked around the town shops and checked out the village wall. This is the Spaniards gate that in 1590 Dutch soldiers snuck into town concealed in a boat and recaptured the city from the Spanish.

After Breda I left Holland headed into Paris.
No comments:
Post a Comment