Saturday, August 22, 2009

Leeuwarden

I'm currently close to Heerenveen in Friesland and I haven't been doing much of anything. I am staying with relatives and there is a very lovely garden and wonderful books to read and I don't have to do much. I have also just recently discovered the wonderful supply of lemon quark (at the grocery store, I shouldn't be that surprised). The weather has been lovely and I have been highly unmotivated to move anywhere.

However, I did manage to visit my second cousin in Leeuwarden. First the bus using the strippenkarden (spelled completely wrong I know). All bus fares are standardized for the cities of the Netherlands, so bus ticketes you buy can be used in any town. Then the train and finally I ended up in Leeuwarden. There, with the bf of said second cousin we wandered around town and checked out the Freis museum (Mata Hari was from Leeuwarden) and then on a canal tour (number three for the Netherlands, one for each time I (re-)enter the country).

Check out this crooked building. It was built sometime around the 1500's (I think) and was built by a German man. He was used to building on rock but this time the building sunk on the sand. So the joke is this is Friesland's leaning tower of Pisa. However, if you look closely you can see the difference is here the walls are crooked but the doors and windows are straight.


After that was pizza for dinner and mine was great:
  • tomato sauce
  • cheese
  • Gorgonzola cheese
  • asparagus
  • garlic
  • onion
  • pineapple
  • bacon
After that it was a game of Settler's of Catan. I feel the urge to write that I indeed won said game of Settler's, even though it was in dutch...

I have some photos to upload later, but my stuff is in complete disarray. I am also being consumed with mosquito's here and hope to have at least some blood left to take me back to Canada (*sniff* I almost wrote take me back home to Vancouver). People of Vancouver, rejoice in your wonderful lack of mosquito's! Truly it is a worker's paradise

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha. Long hot summer equals no lack of mosquitos in Vancouver, if that makes you feel any better. I got eaten alive on the North Shore yesterday and pulled out the Afterbite for the first time in a looooooong while last night. When are you home?
RW

Carly said...

I leave for Canada on the 26th! So soon!