Thursday, July 16, 2009

Basel

Some notes lest I forget.

My second swiss train from Lucern to Basel arrived 25 minutes late. Where is this legendary swiss rail I've heard of! They all tell me the trains are late everywhere else but never in Switzerland.

In Basel I saw the art gallery and the antiquities museum.

Swiss trainsit pass - I bought 3 days use in 1 month which gives me 50% off every other transit (rail, buses, boats and mountain cable cars included) when I'm not using my three days. Plus it gives me free access to something like 400 museums. It's a great deal, you just need to have citizenship outside of Switzerland. For $3000/year you can buy unlimited transit (buses, ships, trains) for all of Switzerland. If I moved there I would get that I think, you can travel all over and reach the ski resorts too.

Also, the thing to do in Basel, especially when it is hot is to float down the fast moving river. Lots of people were doing it, everyone busy the same kind of large waterproof bag where they store their clothes and inflate it a bit to act as a floating device. The river moves quite quickly and it looks like fun. I met up with Andrea after her interview and we sat by the river and watched people float down. It was nice and warm and sunny, unlike Lucern which Andrea describes as the Vancouver of Switzerland - lots of rain. Though not this much in the summer!

Also in Basel was the 'red house'? It is something like city hall or archives or something. Anyway, there were beautiful paintings on the walls and carvings.

No comments: