I have found it! Toast and Peanut butter!! I must admit, I haven't been looking forward to the rest of my trip as much, now that I don't know people and have seen most of the stuff I was really excited about (Holland, Rome, Pompeii, Roman ruins, swiss mountains, just the Louvre left really). I'm sure I'll find stuff to be excited about, just I was focussing on interviews in Switzerland and kinda forgot about planning the next step... Luckily for me, Andrea had two good friends in Heidelberg who let me stay at their very lovely apartment. Man it is so much better staying with friendly people than a hostel. I think I've always been too old for a hostel.
First the train ride to Heidelberg, I met this lovely lady who was a retired diplomat for Switzerland! She said her two focuses of her career were getting Switzerland to join the UN and women the right to vote. In Switzerland, women only got the right to vote in 1971! The lady said it was because Switzerland is such a democracy, nothing gets passed unless of majority vote. In other countries women were allowed to vote because of constitutional challenges, but in Switzerland it only happened when more than half the men voted to allow it. Anyway, it was fantastic to talk with this woman, she talked a bit about negotiations and how you learn the skills and that she was in Berlin when the wall was going down, and in Cairo and Stockholm. It was all really interesting!
Then in Heidelberg I met up with Andrea's friends. We had a lovely glass of wine and chatted. They are both psychology PhD students.
The city gates on the old bridge.
I went to visit the castle ruins and took the self guided audio tour. You can see most of the grounds including the grassy terraces that used to hold the gardens for free, but it was 3 euro to get into the courtyard.
I liked this lion, he's look up and kind of rolling his eyes.
This is the roof of the University library that is located close to old town. Heidelberg isn't very big but very lovely and busy. The first night as I was waiting for a bus it was full of young teenagers all out to get drunk. Apparently all the local kids from surrounding villages all come down to Heidelberg because it has the reputation of being the party town.
1 comment:
Glad to hear you made it to Germany. I would be a shame not to see it while you are in Europe. About the peanut butter...it was hard to distinguish what was in the jar from the label. Perhaps you should buy a small jar to have with you in the future!
Post a Comment