My third day in Munchkin I went to the zoo. I also really wanted to check out the science and tech museum but I'm concerned there isn't enough writing I can understand. Zoo's at least don't need a lot of writing (not that I've ever seen one provide much anyway). I might also visit the Berlin zoo which might seem a bit much but it's famous (stupid knut) and big and I really like zoos. In fact, I spent a good 8 hours walking around the relatively small Munich zoo (actually, I walked around it about three times at least) and I have come to the realization that zoos are probably something I must visit on my own. Anyone else with me would go insane if they had to follow my path.
The Munich zoo did not have an echidna so there was a limit on just how awesome it coud be. It wasn't a huge zoo but this turned out to be a benifit as I got to go back to cages (at least twice) to see the animals throughout the day and I got to see most of the animals (even the wolves which I've never managed to see at the Toronto zoo).
The best time for zoos are in the morning and at closing time. The middle of the day must also be spent at the zoo if you want to be there for closing - the best zoo time IMHO. At the end of the day the zoo is emptying, the animals are out and it is cooler. I got most of my best views of animals and different behaviours in the last hour (and the first).

I caught the bus out the zoo and I knew I was going in the right direction because of all the strollers. That's also probably why info panels at the zoo always seem to suck so much. Toddlers were also upset at the zoo but I wasn't confined in small decorative rooms on a tightly scheduled tour with them. Also at the zoo were all the school kids and the sulky teenagers desperate to prove they were too cool for skool and this lame zoo thing. Some things don't change. I wonder if the teen's are as sulky in Asia?
I saw the octopus and he was quite active (only in the morning). I have some videos but that will have to wait till later.

Check out this awesome fish. Yup, fish.

They had a baby orang-utan, he was very cute and was dragged around by his mother like a little doll.

As I said, the middle of the day in the zoo isn't my favorite and I brought my book to read. However, the middle of the day was when there were a lot of feedings so I was still running around to watch. That was when I got to see the big cats up close. My favourite of these was the leopard. I haven't seen one up so close before.


This lioness was eating right next to the glass so i could get some really interesting photos.


Also at the end of the day the Arctic exhibit was very active. The penguins were zooming and jumping out of the water (and as the school kids were gone you could easily see the display). The polar bear had also gotten up and was playing in the water. Here is is eating his vertebrate like a sea otter on his back.

The second polar bear was still lounging around.

Anyway, I have some great videos (including the gorilla picking his nose and checking it out, no wait, was that the kids?). I'll have to upload them back home.

No comments:
Post a Comment