Sunday, July 19, 2009

Hergiswil

Train travel in Switzerland is expensive. However, if you don't live in Switzerland you can buy a Swiss Pass (even when you arrive in the country) for either first or second class. I have been told (but not checked it out yet) that you can also buy the Eurorail passes for multiple countries while in Europe. Furthermore, it's a bit of a money maker - in Canada you can only buy first class but in Europe you can buy the cheaper pass for second class. But in Canada they don't sell the second class passes.

Anyway, with the Swiss Pass I get one month of free access to over 400 museums and that has been great. I also get 1/2 price on train tickets that I purchase (not including in my three days of 'free' travel). The one month pass costs ~$250 Swiss Franks but there are other variations.

Anyway, with the 1/2 fare deal I took the train to nearby Hergiswil to see the glass factory. They have a very good museum/experience and lots of stuff to see. The factory had a huge furnace with the molten glass. It was a combination factory/craftshop with three items in production and about 2-3 men working on each item.

After Heriswil I met up with Andrea and we went to see Harry Potter, or as Vancouverites call it, Harry Potter 90210. Yup, it had all the teenage drama. It was a bit awkward how they tried to touch on so many plot points from a complicated book. I wouldn't say they were that successful, I was glad I had read the books but then again, that's probably going to be the case. Oh yes, the movie was in English with German and French subtitles.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

400 museums in one month is a demanding pace! But I have confidence in your ability to get through them all.

--Chris H.

Michelle said...

Yay! Glass studio! Were they casting something in that photo you posted? What was the main sort of item they made there?
I'm so glad you're posting your travels, it's awesome!

Carly said...

Heh, I love museums but that is a bit much.

And in the photo they were casting a rectangular dish. First they would pour the glass into a flat pan, and then after it had cooled enough to no longer be molten but still soft they moved it by the frame into a dish. Then the middle of the bowl sank down to touch the mould and you got a dish with a rim.

At the glass place they mainly made dishes, platters, glasses - all very plain and utilitarian but still very nice. It was expensive though.